Tuesday, August 24, 2010

I live in NJ &baby just diagnosed autistic, why NJ has so many cases?

I live in New Jersey, right accross the river from New York. My 21 month old baby boy just diagnosed with autism. Came on suddenly. Lost his speech, bangs his head and rocks, lines up shoes all day if you let him, does not respond to his name at all, stares at wheels on cars and the stroller wheels. We are starting Early Intervention for him and he will have therapy in my home twice a day. From everything I read, Early Intervention is free in all the other states but here in New Jersey the parents have to cost share. They say the reason is because NJ has so many cases and it has become a burden for the state. I'm just wondering why we have so many cases. I am still in a grieving stage and trying to help my son but I am considering moving to another state. Does anyone have any feelings about this? Thank you.I live in NJ %26amp;baby just diagnosed autistic, why NJ has so many cases?
thats interesting, I had not heard that. I live in Massachusetts, and its free here. As for whether you should move... I wouldn't necessarily do it for the early intervention, as your son has about a year left of it (it ends at age three) - I'd start looking into your school system, as that is coming up very soon. If you don't like the school system for any reason, I would probably consider moving. I lucked out... we chose the town we live in now, before my son was diagnosed. it turns out is has one of the best special ed public school systems. I have many friends who moved to this town, specifically for the school system for special ed. So I feel once your child is school age, even for typical kids, but especially for special needs kids, that if you can afford it/works for you.... that you should definitely consider moving to a town with a good school system, that will offer the services your son needs.





One thing though... maybe the system in NJ is so good, thats why so many families with autistic children live there, maybe they moved there for the services? Not sure.... I moved and my neighborhood alone, my son has PDD NOS, my neighbor across the street's son has asperger's, and two other neighbor's children have severe sensory integration disorder...... its odd. I hope this helps!I live in NJ %26amp;baby just diagnosed autistic, why NJ has so many cases?
My daughter is Autistic and it is not easy. I also live in NJ and they offer little assistance, when we lived in NY there was so many more organizations and city programs available to assist us. Moving is definitely a viable option, check out you school district and there special needs programs try and find a support group and talk to locale parents and see how cooperative the school is and what other services might be available.





Early Intervention does wonders, my daughter has come a long way but it is still a challenge.





Good Luck and G-d bless
Early intervention services are not free for everyone in all other states. I live in Ky and when my son had an expressive speech delay, we had to make a copay to the program providing us the speech thearpy services. Also, when we did intake, we had to show our prior year's tax return to determine what copay we would be making. I'm very sorry to hear about your son's diagnosis and certainly pray that he can grow and adapt with his condition. Best of luck to you!
I live in NJ also and provide home services to children with autism. I believe the payment depends on your income (for OT and speech) I work for Burlington county and have worked in Gloucester and the difference between the two are incredable. Burlington provides so much more and has an education service unit that specializes in Autism with a case manager the comes every week to answer your questions.It is wonderful that you found out so early and are able to provide these services so soon. That will definitly make a difference. As far as the autism location question you asked no one really knows why. Maybe enviromental? Just a guess. Go on Autism speeks web site and also google your rights or request a copy....very impotant to know what your child is entitled to because they won't let you know. You don't have to move you just have to use your voice for your baby the squeaky wheel gets the oil.
It's not just NJ. Cases are better diagnosed these days.


I have an 18 year old austistic daughter and she is doing fine. You have to fight for their rights to get the proper programs, but it can be done. Stay strong.
Well, I give you much inspiration. You are not going to have an easy road ahead, but stay strong.


My advice: look for some organizations that offer discounted/free help. Contact your pediatrician and they may be able to suggest some organizations.


If you feel comfortable, try some clinical studies/trials, which could help.


Below is a link to a clinical trial. Good luck!
I also have a child diagnosed with autism, was a very healthy, normal baby - no complications or strange things until about 15 months. She walked at a year, spoke and progressed very naturally - what seemed like a days worth of time she stopped being able to say 2 syllable words and starred into space and became very distant. She is 1 almost 11 now and is a very mild case and has been in the regular school system since she was 3. She started speech and physical therapy very young and is doing very well, most people cant even tell there is anything wrong with her. We have learned most of her triggers and she is able to calm herself and able to leave an area if it is too stimulating for her. I have read a lot about this and i have chosen not to vaccinate her and her younger brother, i don鈥檛 know if that is what did it but i cant come up with anything else that could have changed her. The fee that you have to pay is crap, but it really will help - my daughter has come SO FAR from when she was diagnosed and hopefully she will continue to mature and live a normal life. I also recommend trying to find classes or groups where you can learn what other autistic parents have learned thru trial and error with their children. Good luck to you and your child, i know what you are going thru and you really need people lean on and something that will help you to release stress and know that this isn鈥檛 your fault. I am in Wisconsin and my insurance is what covered my daughters therapy and then when she was 4 she went to a pre-school program and the school took over her therapy so i don鈥檛 know if its free here. I could go on and on about things that i have learned about why she does what she does and how sad it is to see someone you love more than your own life be so confused and blank ..... if you need to talk, you can email.

No comments:

Post a Comment